Pages

Friday, April 25, 2008

From "The Zone" -in progress by Marina Petro


From "The Zone" in progress

I started this painting to test the new tempera paints I purchased for my Painting From "The Zone" workshop tomorrow. I began this spontaneous intuitive type painting a couple of years ago using tempera paint on paper. When I decided I wanted a more permanent ground and began painting on canvas I experimented (and still am) with gouache, egg tempera and a couple of varieties of acrylic paint. I'm still looking for the perfect medium for these works. I like the matte finish and brilliance of designer gouache but it doesn't flow as readily as tempera and comes in tiny tubes that are used up so quickly. Tempera would be the perfect paint but it is not permanent on canvas and doesn't come in as many colors as the others.

The question "Why don't you paint them on paper?" might come to mind. The reason I don't is because I don't like needing to mat and frame my work behind glass or plexiglass....just too cumbersome.

I'm going to try to work a bit more on this painting tonight after I get everything I need for my workshop together. I'm so enthused about turning my students "on" to this exceptionally freeing way of painting. The beauty of it is, you can just tack up a piece of paper on a wall, keep your paints in an ice cube tray right there and just go and paint with no forethought, planning, needing to have a goal or a saleable/acceptable product as the end result. Pure pleasure with no pressure.

Today's quote: "There's no retirement for an artist, it's your way of living so there's no end to it."
-Henry Moore


My Blog

Website
Prints on canvas or paper at Imagekind!
My eBay Store
Marina's Art On Fine Merchandise
Studio Tour
Email

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin